Last weekend I was in Chicago for the second N-American OSM hack weekend of the year. This one, for me and Serge, was entirely dedicated to MapRoulette. We wanted to get the next generation code as close to ready as possible for release – and we got pretty close I think! Here’s a summary of what we did:
- Looked at user interface challenges with Tom MacWright, the main architect of the iD editor.
- Finalized the data model and ORM code.
- Debugged and improved OAuth authentication code.
- Discussed and finalized the design for the API.
- Wrote setup instructions for anyone wanting to deploy MapRoulette (which would mainly be other developers wanting to collaborate on the project)
- Created an EC2 AMI (ami-995032f0) that has MapRoulette and all dependencies ready to go for quick deployment
- Created a list of tasks and remaining issues.
We have now gotten to a point where we can share the code and hope to attract more developers, which I think overall is a major milestone.
Here is the public GitHub repository: https://github.com/emacsen/maproulette
To reiterate, the main objectives of this next generation are:
- Make code and database model more transparent to enable more development collaboration
- Support for regional challenges
- Support for working on tasks in a defined area
- Support for difficulty preferences
- Enable external challenge providers to submit challenge data through an API
- Enable linking with OSM accounts to better track user activity and leverage OSM account services such as settings storage
Below is an impression of daytime at the hack weekend: